Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cosplaying While Black: Interview With Emani Carson

Editor’s Note: This story is part of a week-long feature The ONE SHOTS is doing on Black History Month, the presence of black people in K-pop culture, and the lack thereof. In this segment, ONE SHOTS writer Nicole interviews a real life black cosplayer.


If you’re part of a fandom then you’re no stranger to an interesting group of people who dedicate their time and (a lot of) money to take part in an aspect of fan culture called “cosplaying.” Cosplaying, or costume play, is when a person dresses up as their favorite characters — real or animated – partly as a means to express how much they love those characters.


It’s not surprising at all that this part of fan culture would infiltrate the K-pop community. We’re known for being overly involved and enthusiastic fans. I mean, have you met an Exotic? What other way is there to show your undying love for Luhan, other than carving his name into your arm, than to dress up and impersonate him?



But despite cosplay increasing in the K-pop fandom, there just doesn’t seem to be that many black cosplayers. There’s a huge lack of black cosplayers and some obvious racism within the cosplay community, so we interviewed Emani Carson, a black cosplayer from San Diego, California. Some of you might remember her from KCON 2013, where she cosplayed Dara from 2NE1. Her cosplay became so popular, CL may or may not have commented on her Instagram photo.



Nicole: How does a person even get into cosplaying? How did you start?


Emani: I got into cosplaying after going to my first Comic Con in 2006. I saw people dressed up as heroes from various comics and animes and decided to look more into it. I eventually found YouTube videos and blogs of cosplayers and figured I should give it a shot. It looked fun and gave me a chance to express myself artistically.


Nicole: Are there any specific idols you would like to cosplay?


Emani: There are SO many idols I wish I could cosplay. But right now, I’d have to say I’m working on the doll room looks from VIXX’s VOODOO album. I’m specifically trying to cosplay, N.



Nicole: What was your most successful cosplay?


Emani: My most successful K-pop cosplay was Dara of 2NE1 during the “I am the Best” concept. The amount of praise and level of recognition were beyond what I expected – especially since CL, herself, liked the photo on Instagram. It was such an honor, I actually cried!



Nicole: Why’d your Dara do so well? Did you put the most effort into that outfit? Or did you embody her persona well?


Emani: I felt that with Dara, I placed more work and time into the details whereas with other cosplays, I have a tendency to be a bit lazy. Plus, she was my bias of 2NE1.




Nicole:
When you take part in cosplay competitions are you often the only black cosplayer or are there others? Is there a black cosplay community?


Emani: I’m usually the only one. There aren’t very many other black cosplayers but there have been cases where I’ll find some cosplayers. It’s rare, but it happens.


Nicole: From the few black cosplayers you’ve seen, have you noticed a K-pop star more people cosplay over others?


Emani: Since I haven’t seen that many other [black] cosplayers, the most I’ve seen is Bangtan Boys, EXO, or Big Bang. From there, they mostly cosplay Rap Monster, Kris, or G-Dragon.


Nicole: That’s really interesting. Do you know why they choose those idols/groups? Is it something about their style/personality?


Emani: I think most black cosplayers gravitate to those artists due to the music style and the clothes that represent those styles.


Nicole: These artists definitely have a hip-hop feel—or try to at least. I can see how they would relate well to portions of black culture. I’m actually surprised G-Dragon is a favorite with some black cosplayers considering the large chunk of black K-pop fans that don’t like him. Is there a difference of opinion about him in the black cosplay community? Or is he cosplayed because of his crazy concepts for his MVs?



Emani: With G-Dragon in the black K-pop community, it’s more of a way to test our craftsmanship skills. His fashion is so intricate and usually very difficult to copy that most cosplayers, as a whole and not just black cosplayers, find it to be more of a way to test their handiwork. In terms of the other artists, it’s more a personality thing. For example, Rap Monster’s personality in Bangtan Boys’ music videos becomes an interesting persona to cosplay.


Nicole: Have you ever come across people who have negatively reacted to you being a black cosplayer?


Emani: I’ve experienced plenty of negativity when I first started cosplaying but as of late, I haven’t gotten as many negative comments. There will always be people trying to tear you down telling you that you can’t cosplay a character because they aren’t black.


20140226_theoneshots_cosplay hat


Nicole: Despite the fact that most characters being cosplayed in other fandoms aren’t even human…


Emani: But what I’ve realized is that you can’t let them get to you. Cosplay is a way to express myself and show a K-pop star that I appreciate them for their hard work. The reaction I’ve received from them is usually positive. From CL liking my Instagram post to VIXX’s N, when I cosplayed his Hyde concept for the VIXX Showcase. He was genuinely surprised and the smile he gave me reached his eyes. It’s moments like that, that show this hobby is worth the badmouthing you may or may not receive.


Nicole: What was the worst thing someone has said to you as a black cosplayer?


Emani: The worst thing I overheard was while I was cosplaying N from VIXX. These girls were saying that it was pointless for me to cosplay him because I was black and nobody, including him, would even understand. I did feel a bit dejected until after the Showcase started and I noticed how happy and excited he was seeing me during the concert cosplaying him. It was then that I understood that what those girls said and what other people might say didn’t matter.


Nicole: If faced with more negativity as a black cosplayer, how will you continue on strongly? What can you do to prove that black cosplayers are here to stay?


Emani:  I’ll show them proof of how my cosplays were accepted and PRAISED by their beloved idols. After all it wasn’t done for other people, it was done for the IDOLS. That way they can see the impact they’ve made on a person’s life and feel good about themselves and their career.



Check out our Black History Month articles on Blaxploitation and the K-pop/hip-hop lyrical fusion. And follow us for the rest of the week as we talk Black History Month! Follow us on Twitter @the_oneshots and like us on Facebook for more K-pop knowledge!


No comments:

Post a Comment