Saturday, June 28, 2014

Dear K-Pop: Hidden Cameras Have Got To Go

20140626_theoneshots_hidden camera_760


20140620_theoneshots_SNSD2Dear K-pop, as much as I love Korean variety and reality shows, there is one thing that never fails to ruin it for me: hidden cameras (or mollae cameras).


I admit it, I’m not much of a prankster in the first place. I don’t like being scared by people jumping out at me and anything mean spirited goes on my no-no list. Maybe that’s why the genuine unhappiness these hidden cameras create seems unnecessary to me. Torturing someone innocent because it’s “funny” isn’t endearing, it makes me want to hit everyone involved.


Particularly high on my list of hated hidden camera pranks is the “surprise birthday” prank. Now, I’ve planned my fair share of parties and I’m here to tell you that you can have a fun surprise party for a friend without making them cry first.


How is that an acceptable way to show your friend you care about them? Oh sure, let me make you miserable before I laugh at you while you cry, then shove cake in your face, happy birthday! Maybe it’s a cultural thing, but I always thought you were supposed to make someone feel happy on their birthday, not embarrass them royally.



I like seeing my favorite idols cry when they win an award just as much as the next fangirl, but when the tears are an obvious reaction to a stressful and unpleasant situation any joy I may have gotten out of the salty rainfall is lost.


20140620_theoneshots_jungkookThe situations with Infinite’s Dongwoo and BTS’s Jungkook are both even more painful because it is obvious that they actually believe they’re doing poorly at their jobs. How would you feel if your boss told you that you were in danger of getting fired, lectured you for ten minutes, then suddenly started singing happy birthday to you out of nowhere? Yeah, that’s what I thought.


Speaking of making people feel like their careers are in jeopardy, SNSD and Secret’s Sunhwa both dealt with hidden cameras early on in their careers that would have been soul-crushing if they were real. Having an entire crowed boo you right after debut? Yeah, that’s really funny, I just love seeing young women feel insecure. Being told you are the reason people think idols are conceited because you were late? Way to make a rookie feel welcome in the industry, guys. Basically, messing with someone’s career as a joke isn’t funny, end of story.


Finally, there are the rogue hidden cameras that just come out of nowhere. While in Japan, Crayon Pop went through a hidden camera where a man pretended to be a crazy fan and accosted Ellin. That is something out of an idol’s worst nightmare. Why would anyone think it was a good idea to put someone through that? We all know how scarred idols like Yunho have been by their run-ins with sasaengs, so why would you subject someone to that experience as a joke? Not funny, bro.



Bottom line, hidden cameras aren’t funny, and the rare occasion when they are doesn’t make up for all of the other times when they are stressful and hurtful. An example of a good hidden camera? BTS’s elevator prank. No one got hurt and the small amount of awkwardness was negligible.


If I could ban hidden cameras, I would. And if anyone ever tries to celebrate my birthday by making me cry first, I’m going to punch them in the face.


Love,

Lin


No comments:

Post a Comment