Saturday, June 21, 2014

Taste of London, Day 2: Orientation

I woke up to a pleasant surprise this morning. My journalist friend Evan Ramstad mentioned I was quoted in a New York Times piece about hongeo. That interview happened a few months ago, but I thought it was shelved because the Sewol accident occurred soon after. I guess it was just waiting for the right time.


I was pleasantly surprised by the free breakfast at my hotel. They said “continental,” but they had a full English breakfast buffet going on. Granted, the sausages and eggs could have been better, but it was good to have a free option that was filling. I was in my pre-caffeinated stupor and put a croissant in the toaster. While I was loading my plate, the waitress said, “Oh no!” and ran to the toaster. It was smoking. She pulled the smoldering croissant out. I then noticed the sign on top of the toaster that said to NOT put croissants in the toaster. I apologized, apologized, apologized. She was cool with it.


2014 06 16 07.32.10 412x550 Taste of London, Day 2: Orientation


2014 06 16 07.20.36 550x412 Taste of London, Day 2: Orientation


Man, I ate a lot. I was just happy to have Marmite and orange marmalade available.


Dan picked me up, and we went to Korea Foods HQ. It’s vast warehouses, some turned into office space. Impressive operation. They have a grocery store below, and it was like walking into any store in Korea. I met the team and got some work done. We also had a bibimbap lunch together.


I then went back to the hotel for a nap. But jetlag is such an ugly beast. I was tired but couldn’t fully sleep.


Dan and Rupert picked me up for dinner. Again, I requested a pub. I’m such a British cuisine addict. Should I take a cue from Korean food promoters and call it “B-Food?”


Nah!


2014 06 16 20.19.05 550x412 Taste of London, Day 2: Orientation 2014 06 16 20.19.09 550x412 Taste of London, Day 2: Orientation


This pub near us, The Ship, was amazing. We decided to start out in the pub itself with some Welsh Rarebit and Scotch Egg. That was the best Welsh Rarebit I ever had in my life! Sharp, sharp cheddar with potent English mustard. The perfect beer snack.


2014 06 16 21.06.25 550x412 Taste of London, Day 2: Orientation


We then went into the restaurant section. I felt obligated to get the lamb because it’s so rare to get it in Korea, but I instead ordered the small steak, as did the other two gentlemen. Even though it was the small one, it obliterated us. I was so full! I said, “Well, there’s always room for cheese.” So we ordered one cheese plate.


2014 06 16 21.43.49 412x550 Taste of London, Day 2: Orientation


But we were so full that the three of us couldn’t even finish that!


No comments:

Post a Comment